Sunday, August 1, 2010

FORMATIVE BRIEF #1: MEMORY

Context from the brief:
"From the beginning, photography has been prized as a carrier of memories - most people would say that if their house is on fire the one thing they'd save would be the photo albums. Even if they are images that are badly lit or not composed properly, the fact that they represent important narratives of your own personal journeys makes them significant."

The task for this assignment is producing a photograph that reflects the memory of my family photograph which has a special memory.

As an international student, I don't have my family albums here and I don't have many of them hosted online as well. And because my parents are quite behind technology in Vietnam and they don't even own a computer so it's really difficult to me to collect the photo I want from my family albums.
But the photo that make me have a feeling to want to choose, that is, photos of me and my younger brother. His name is Long (in Chinese it means 'dragon', we Vietnamese borrow many words from Chinese) and he is 2 years younger than me. But when I was about 10 and he was about 8, we had the same height and we were really close as best friends. So everytime my parents wanted to take photos for me or him, most of the time, we stayed in the same photo, shoulder to shoulder or sometime, back to back. And we really enjoyed to have photos taken together.

Because I can't collect my photo with my brother, I tried to search for a few referenceson Google.
And here they are:

http://www.paulmanoian.com/photography/index.php/2009/07/northville-michigan-child-photographer-brothers-photography-portrait-session/


http://www.fotosearch.com/UPC007/jyr01042/


Then I decided to reflect these kind of image into the photo that I will present in class. That could be a photo of sisters, lovers, BFFs .... staying together in one photo. My idea is about making a photo that is reflected from the memory of my family photo but it doesn't need a photo about family. It can be any kind of photos that I'd like to create in the style I'd enjoy to do.

And then I came up with a studio shoot with 2 female models and of course, they were wearing underwear. And I like them to be intimate in the photo, I want to to look very sexy still close together as a family portrait without fancy poses.



Then finally I decide to present this one with a bit of image enhancement:

No comments:

Post a Comment